Cnr Cousens Street and Atkins Road
In 1885 a Roman Catholic chapel was opened and blessed by Rev. Fr. J. Duff and known as St James.
In 1923 Father T.R. O’Grady handed over his presbytery to the Sisters of St Joseph’s for a convent and took up residence at the back of the old church. On 24 February 1924 a school was opened in a hall with 35 children in attendance.
When Father O’Grady died in 1926 aged 38 he was replaced by Rev. T. Lynch who built a two-room presbytery for himself. A new school opened in April 1927, funded by a large mortgage. In 1929 due to the Great Depression, the timber mills ceased operation and few men at Jarrahdale had work. As a result the school and convent closed. In the following year, there was an abortive attempt to reopen the school, but in April 1930 Father Lynch was forced to withdraw the community to Pinjarra where the Sisters of St Joseph began a convent and school.
In 1923 the Health Authorities condemned St James church, due to white ants. However, the church was renovated and served until c1958 when a new church, St Maria Goretti, was built.
Mass held in Serpentine – St Kevins : 9.00am.
Further information St Francis Xavier Parish, Armadale Tel: 9399 4687